A common desire to worship God was the spark that ignited the formation of Madison Heights Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in 1904. From the humble beginnings in a tent to a solid foundation on Main Street, the congregation has celebrated over 100 years of worship and fellowship.
The Rev. H. D. Coffey, state evangelist for the Virginia Christian Missionary Society, led tent revivals that led to the church's beginnings. For some time, the church met in the homes of members until a small building, known as the Tabernacle, could be built on Fourth Street. The congregation worshipped in this building until 1922 when it was torn down and replaced with a larger structure.
During the period of 1923 to 1930, the congregation continued but with no real vision for the future. In 1930, Coffey led the congregation to call its first settled pastor, the Rev. G. C. Looney.
Looney served MHCC from 1930 to 1955 and brought forth many changes. It was during this time, in 1932, the current church building was built to accommodate the growing membership. The stained glass windows, arches, and bricks were purchased form the old Westminster Presbyterian Lynchburg to create the new home that was dedicated on October 23, 1932. The education wing was built in 1952 and additional land was purchased in 1953 for a parking lot.
Madison Heights Christian Church has a history of lengthy pastoral leadership. The average duration of a Senior Minister is over 15 years. This is because the congregation is a very loving and caring ministry. The spirit of Christ lives in the life of the ministry as Christ is the focus of our worship services, fellowship activities, outreach ministries, and the very lives that we live.